Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Art of Editing: Meet Artist Raymond Scott Daigle

We're already reviewed 7+ minutes of semi-edited footage and it looks good. I like the pace. But most importantly I like the ideas. After figuring out how to store the footage, what level to edit, how to set the levels, I think our post-production team is in a good spot. So that we can make our time and efforts more efficient, the scenes that need special effects are being cut together first so Matt can work on only those frames that we need to have effects on. Nice little plan. It's throwing me off a little though... I don't like building the story from the inside out, but I'll go with it.

Our hearty editor for this project is Raymond Scott Daigle, who I have discovered is smarter and more patient than I could even have imagined. I met Scott a couple of years ago through his wife, the lovely Maria Shanle. We all have common friends (Two Sticks, Frisbee people, law school folks, etc.) and our orbits have passed a few times. When Mick decided he didn't have the time to edit the film, I called a couple of people who might be interested, but I just wasn't feeling comfortable. After a quick afternoon visit at my brother's (Scott was there with his baby daughter Sagan), I gave Scott a call and passed him the script. We chatted, I viewed a couple of his videos, and trusted my gut. I have worked with all of my core team before on a lot of different projects, but this was the first key player that I hadn't worked with. All you have is to go with your instincts. Best decision I ever made.

Editing is making the movie again. It's where you see what you actually shot and what shots you have to work with. It's where you create the energy, the pace, the focus, the direction. I have worked with a spectrum of editors, each of whom have their own style. Sometimes you see a flow that you hadn't seen before. Other times there's a little effect thrown in to accent just that moment of drama, something that makes you look at the scene again, a little flair. Plus, the editing process makes you not only appreciate your editor, but your camera people as well. I have found myself saying, "Oh wow.. I had no idea he got that shot," which just adds to the recipe.

With our new sister iMac 7's, we've been able to link up via iChat and preview edited sequences. The first segment was the hallucination sequence. After the first preview I hesitated. I was surprised. But then I saw it again and got it. Scott had cut it tight, in quick short cuts, cuts almost disruptive, but they conveyed the sense of time passing that we needed. This scene happens fast but it need to communicate more time. It worked and was funny. I laughed watching it... at least the 3rd and 4th time. The first time I was just absorbing it. And he has been blessedly kind about explaining the rudiments of Final Cut to me. So yes, big editor love. It's working nicely. And there's a reason they call your gut "the second brain." Follow that. It talks back.

Raymond Scott Daigle
Editor

Raymond Scott Daigle is a videographer who specializes in production from concept to reality. His focus is on creating a smooth and painless process, with a high degree of creativity and visual stimulation.

Based in Northern California’s Bay Area, Daigle Digital has worked with clients such as Benziger Winery, Kunde Vineyards, Annie's Organic and Scharffen Berger chocolate. He’s also written and directed his own short film Replica. Originally from Maine, he has a degree in film from the University of Southern Maine, enjoys his annual trips to the desert for Burning Man, and hopes to meet Bigfoot in person one day.


You can see some of Scott's editing skills via his website at Daigle Digital.

No comments:

Post a Comment