Friday, September 18, 2009

A gentle "no" from the heart

Today I received a personal phone call from Carol Dean, Executive Director of From the Heart Productions. Earlier this year I had submitted a grant application for production funds for this film. My initial thought... "Wow, she's calling me personally to award me the grant," dissipated into thin air as I heard the words "I'm sorry but we aren't going to fund your project this year." I'm pretty sure it felt like Taylor Swift after Kanye West deflated her award balloon.



She went on to tell me what a wonderful, funny, charming script I had written, and how much talent I had, and encouraged me to keep writing. She was kind, but it was still a resounding rejection. I asked her to keep an eye out for any potential donors, that we were moving forward with casting and pre-production, and that we were making pitches to individual donors. She listened with a heart, and for that I thank her. But I realize in the end that the ball's still in my court.

I didn't ask her who won or why we didn't. Perhaps my mind could have gone there ultimately. But I was proud that I could make my pitch to her, still, even after the rejection, believing ultimately in my film and its potential. In all honesty, I really don't care who got awarded the fabulous production prizes... I have work to do.

On that note, I hope that everyone who reads this clicks on the DONATE button at the top of this blog and sends $50. If 100 people send in $50 then we are well on our way to covering some important expenses.

Here's to tomorrow, and our final casting session. The light is on.

No comments:

Post a Comment